Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant is one of the national project of 10 Fast Track project of the present government of Bangladesh. Here we are going to explore some important information of this mega project.
Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant:
- Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant is a planned nuclear power plant with a capacity of 2.4 GW
- Being built at Rooppur in Ishwardi Upazila of Pabna District, Bangladesh.
- It is going to be Bangladesh’s first nuclear power plant with the first unit to start generating electricity in 2023.
- Russia’s Rosatom State Atomic Energy Corporation is building the Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant
- Rooppur nuclear power plant is being built in Rooppur village of Pakshi union under Ishwardi upazila of Pabna, 200 km northwest of Dhaka, the capital city of Bangladesh.
- The project is located on the river bank next to Hardinge Bridge and Lalon Shah Bridge over the Padma River.
- Construction work started on 30 November 2017
- Construction cost BDT 1,13,092,91 crore
- Owner – Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission
- Director – Nuclear Power Plant Bangladesh Limited
- Type of reactor – Pressurized water reactor
- Reactor supplier – Rosatom
- Cooling source – Padma river
- In 1961, the initiative to build the first nuclear power plant was taken.
- In 1962/1963, Rooppur on the banks of Padma river in Ishwardi police Plant of Pabna district was selected as the site for nuclear power plant.
- 260 acres of land is acquired for this project and 32 acres for residential area.
- According to a 2008 estimate by Synapse Energy, the estimated cost of an 1,100 MW nuclear power plant is $9 billion.
- According to a 2012 report by the famous Forbes magazine, the cost of a 1000 MW nuclear power plant is $7 billion.
- Rooppur nuclear power plant with two units of 2400 MW capacity is costing a little over $12 billion.
- Ninety percent of the total cost will be provided by the Russian Federation as a loan. The remaining 10 percent will be financed by Bangladesh.
- A unit of 1200 MW will start power generation in 2023.
- By 2024 two reactors will add 2,400 MW of nuclear power to our national grid.
- Rooppur nuclear power plant debt is around 11 billion dollars. A grace period has been given for interest payments on the loans given by Russia. So the loan installments have to be paid from March 2027.
- This loan has to be repaid in two installments every year.
- 565 million dollars to be repaid every year at 4 percent interest rate. If the electricity produced is assumed to be 5 taka per unit, even if 90 percent of the 2400 megawatt capacity is produced, the net income will be 770 million dollars in one year.
Md. Asaduzzaman Russel
Architecture & Civil Technology