The world is increasingly becoming digital, and cloud computing has emerged as a pivotal technology that drives this transformation. In today’s interconnected and data-driven world, the demand for cloud computing skills is soaring. As a result, educational institutions are seeking ways to equip students with the knowledge and skills necessary to thrive in this digital age. Amazon Web Services (AWS), with its AWS Academy program, presents an incredible opportunity to bridge the skills gap in the diploma sector in Bangladesh.
History of AWS
Amazon Web Services (AWS) has a rich history that has transformed the way organizations and individuals access and utilize computing resources. Founded in 2006, AWS began as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. and quickly emerged as a leader in the cloud computing industry. AWS’s journey can be summarized in a few key milestones:
-2002 : The platform was launched
-2003 : Concept was reformulated with standardized plans
-2004 : The first service (Simple Queue Service) launched for public usage
– 2006: AWS is officially launched, offering cloud computing services that include storage, computing, and databases.
– 2010: The introduction of Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (Amazon VPC) enhances network security and connectivity in the cloud.
– 2012: AWS GovCloud is introduced to support government agencies and organizations with strict compliance requirements.
– 2013: AWS offers its first-ever certification, the AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate, marking the beginning of its certification program.
– 2015: AWS Lambda is launched, providing serverless computing capabilities.
– 2017: AWS announces the Deep Learning Amazon Machine Image (AMI) for artificial intelligence and machine learning workloads.
– 2020: The launch of AWS Outposts allows customers to run AWS infrastructure on-premises, extending the AWS cloud to their data centers.
– 2021: AWS continues to innovate with services like Amazon SageMaker, a fully managed machine learning service, and the AWS Nitro System, which powers EC2 instances for enhanced performance and security.
Today, AWS is a global leader in cloud services, serving millions of customers worldwide, including startups, enterprises, public sector organizations, and individuals.
AWS Academy History
The AWS Academy program is an initiative by AWS to bridge the skills gap in cloud computing. The program was designed to equip educational institutions with the resources and support needed to teach cloud computing effectively. Here’s a brief history of AWS Academy:
2017: AWS Academy was officially launched, aiming to provide educators with AWS-authorized curriculum, hands-on labs, and faculty training resources.
2018: The AWS Academy program expanded its reach, partnering with educational institutions globally to offer cloud computing courses.
2019: AWS Academy introduced an accreditation program for educators, allowing them to become AWS Academy Accredited Instructors, ensuring high-quality instruction.
2020: The program continued to grow, with more institutions incorporating AWS Academy courses into their curricula and offering students the opportunity to earn AWS certifications.
2021: AWS Academy maintained its commitment to addressing the demand for cloud skills by updating and enhancing its curriculum, preparing students for real-world cloud challenges.
Today, AWS Academy serves as a vital bridge between educational institutions and the cloud computing industry. It enables students to acquire in-demand cloud computing skills and prepares them for AWS certifications, opening doors to exciting career opportunities.
AWS Products and Services
AWS offers almost 200 plus a vast array of cloud computing products and services to cater to the diverse needs of organizations and individuals. Some of the core AWS services and product categories include:
1. Compute Services:
– Amazon EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud) for scalable virtual servers.
– AWS Lambda for serverless computing.
– Amazon ECS (Elastic Container Service) for container management.
2. Storage and Databases:
– Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service) for object storage.
– Amazon RDS (Relational Database Service) for managed databases.
– Amazon DynamoDB for NoSQL database management.
– Amazon VPC (Virtual Private Cloud) for network isolation.
– Amazon Route 53 for domain name system (DNS) web services.
– AWS Direct Connect for dedicated network connections.
4. Security and Identity:
– AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) for access control.
– AWS Key Management Service (KMS) for encryption key management.
– AWS Certificate Manager for SSL/TLS certificates.
5. Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence:
– Amazon SageMaker for building, training, and deploying machine learning models.
– Amazon Rekognition for image and video analysis.
– Amazon Polly for text-to-speech conversion.
6. Developer Tools:
– AWS CodeCommit for source code management.
– AWS CodeBuild for continuous integration.
– AWS CodeDeploy for automated deployment.
– Amazon Redshift for data warehousing.
– Amazon EMR (Elastic MapReduce) for big data processing.
– Amazon Quicksight for business intelligence and data visualization.
8. Internet of Things (IoT):
– AWS IoT Core for IoT device connectivity.
– AWS IoT Greengrass for IoT edge computing.
– Amazon FreeRTOS for embedded microcontroller devices.
9. Containers and Serverless:
– Amazon EKS (Elastic Kubernetes Service) for container orchestration.
– AWS Fargate for serverless container management.
– AWS App Runner for building and running containerized web applications.
10. Migration and Transfer:
– AWS Snowball for data migration.
– AWS Database Migration Service for database migrations.
– AWS DataSync for data transfer to and from AWS.
These are just a fraction of the services AWS provides, and the AWS ecosystem continues to expand to meet the evolving needs of the cloud computing industry. AWS’s global reach, reliability, and extensive service offerings make it a dominant force in cloud technology.
The Need for Cloud Computing Skills
As the world shifts towards digitalization and cloud-based services, the demand for cloud computing expertise is growing across industries. Businesses are looking for cloud professionals who can architect, manage, and secure cloud infrastructures. This demand extends to Bangladesh, where companies are adopting cloud solutions to stay competitive and agile in the modern business landscape.
AWS Academy: A Solution to Bridge the Skills Gap
The AWS Academy program is designed to address the growing demand for cloud skills by providing educators with the resources to teach cloud computing effectively. By integrating AWS Academy into the diploma sector in Bangladesh, institutions can equip students with the knowledge and hands-on experience required to meet industry demands. Here’s why AWS Academy is a game-changer:
1. Comprehensive Curriculum: AWS Academy offers a comprehensive curriculum that covers cloud computing, storage, database, networking, and more. It prepares students to tackle real-world challenges by providing them with a deep understanding of AWS services and best practices.
2. Hands-On Labs: Practical experience is essential for mastering cloud computing. AWS Academy provides access to hands-on labs that allow students to apply their knowledge by working with AWS services in a controlled environment.
3. Industry-Recognized Certifications: With AWS Academy, students have the opportunity to earn AWS certifications, such as AWS Certified Solutions Architect (Associate and Professional), AWS Certified Developer, and more. These certifications are highly regarded by employers and can significantly enhance students’ job prospects.
4. Faculty Development: AWS Academy offers resources for faculty development, ensuring that educators are well-equipped to teach cloud computing effectively. This empowers them to deliver high-quality education to their students.
5. Connection to the Industry: Through AWS Academy, educational institutions can establish connections with AWS and its extensive network of partners. This can lead to internship opportunities, guest lectures, and collaboration on research projects.
Benefits for Students
Introducing AWS Academy into the diploma sector in Bangladesh can bring a host of benefits to students:
– Enhanced Career Prospects: AWS-certified professionals are in high demand globally. Graduates with AWS Academy training will be well-positioned to secure high-paying jobs in the cloud computing industry.
– Hands-On Experience: The program’s emphasis on practical labs and real-world scenarios ensures that students are ready to handle the challenges they will encounter in the workplace.
– Access to a Global Network: AWS Academy provides access to AWS’s vast network of partners and customers. Students can connect with potential employers and gain insights from industry leaders.
– Career Mobility: Cloud computing skills are transferable across various industries, offering students the flexibility to work in areas like healthcare, finance, education, and more.
The Application Process
To implement AWS Academy in the diploma sector in Bangladesh, educational institutions can follow these steps:
1. Visit the [AWS Academy Institution Application page] (https://www.awsacademy.com/InstitutionApplication).
2. Fill out the application form, providing details about your institution, including the name, location, and contact information.
3. Submit the application for review by AWS Academy.
4. Once your institution’s application is approved, proceed to enroll educators in AWS Academy courses.
5. Educators will undergo training and certification to become AWS Academy accredited instructors.
6. With accredited instructors in place, integrate AWS Academy courses into the curriculum for students to enroll.
7. Provide the necessary infrastructure for students to access AWS services and hands-on labs.
8. Students can enroll in AWS Academy courses, gain access to the comprehensive curriculum, and start their journey toward becoming proficient in cloud computing.
AWS Certification and Job Demand
The demand for AWS-certified professionals is significant both locally and abroad. AWS offers multiple certification levels, each catering to different skill sets and career paths. Here’s a glimpse of the job sector and demand for AWS certifications:
Local Demand (Bangladesh):
Bangladesh’s business landscape is evolving, with many companies adopting cloud computing solutions, including AWS, to enhance their operations. As a result, there is a growing demand for AWS-certified professionals in the local job market. Companies in various sectors, including IT, e-commerce, finance, and healthcare, are actively seeking cloud experts to help them migrate to the cloud, optimize their infrastructure, and ensure data security.
1. AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner: This is an entry-level certification that provides a foundational understanding of AWS services. It’s suitable for individuals with non-technical or technical backgrounds who want to demonstrate their cloud knowledge.
2. AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate: This certification is for individuals who design distributed systems on the AWS platform. It’s ideal for those interested in architectural roles.
3. AWS Certified Developer – Associate: Targeted at developers, this certification validates your ability to develop applications on the AWS platform.
4. AWS Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate: Focusing on system operations, this certification is designed for systems administrators who manage and maintain AWS resources.
5. AWS Certified DevOps Engineer – Professional: This certification is for experienced DevOps engineers who focus on continuous delivery and automation.
The salary range for AWS-certified professionals in Bangladesh can vary based on factors such as experience, certification level, and the specific role. Entry-level positions, such as Cloud Support Associate or Junior Cloud Engineer, can expect salaries ranging from BDT 20,000 to BDT 40,000 per month. With more experience and advanced certifications, professionals can earn significantly higher, with senior cloud architects and engineers commanding salaries ranging from BDT 60,000 to BDT 150,000 or more per month.
AWS certifications are globally recognized and highly regarded in the international job market. AWS professionals are sought after by organizations around the world, making AWS certification holders marketable beyond Bangladesh’s borders. Many multinational companies and global tech giants require AWS expertise to manage their cloud infrastructure and services.
Certification Levels (International):
Internationally, AWS certifications are highly sought after across various job roles, and they can lead to lucrative career opportunities. The AWS certifications mentioned above are widely recognized, and individuals holding these certifications are in demand for positions such as Cloud Solutions Architect, DevOps Engineer, and Cloud Developer.
Salaries for AWS-certified professionals abroad can be quite lucrative. In countries like the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia, AWS Solution Architects and DevOps Engineers can earn salaries ranging from $70,000 to $150,000 or more per year. Senior roles with extensive experience and multiple certifications can command even higher salaries.
The AWS Academy Journey of Daffodil Polytechnic Institute
Daffodil Polytechnic Institute embarked on its AWS Academy journey on July 31, 2023, by securing institute-level affiliation. This marked a significant milestone for the institute as it paved the way for offering AWS Academy courses to its students. The journey began with a vision to empower students with cutting-edge cloud computing skills and AWS certifications.
Key Milestones in Daffodil Polytechnic Institute’s AWS Academy Journey:
July 31, 2023: Daffodil Polytechnic Institute secured institute-level affiliation with AWS Academy.
Educator Enrollment: The Chief Point of Contact (CPOC) at the institute initiated the process of educator enrollment. This involved identifying and enrolling educators who would undergo training and become AWS Academy Accredited Instructors.
AWS Academy Launch Webinar: To kickstart the AWS Academy program, Daffodil Polytechnic Institute organized a special webinar. The webinar featured a distinguished keynote speaker, Mr. Mohammad Mahdee Uz Zaman, AWS Solution Architect , Founder of Cloud Camp Bangladesh and an Amazon Web Services Leader. Mr. Zaman’s insights and expertise added tremendous value to the event, inspiring students and educators alike. First AWS Academy Educator of Daffodil Polytechnic Institute Mr. Muhammad Shahidul Islam conducted the Webinar Session.
Student Enrollment: Following the webinar, the institute opened enrollment for AWS Academy courses. Students were given the opportunity to gain access to AWS-authorized curriculum, hands-on labs, and a path to AWS certifications.
Daffodil Polytechnic Institute’s AWS Academy journey is a testament to its commitment to providing students with high-quality cloud computing education. By offering AWS Academy courses, the institute is not only enhancing the skills and employability of its students but also contributing to the growth of the cloud computing industry in Bangladesh.
In conclusion, implementing AWS Academy in the diploma sector in Bangladesh is a strategic move to bridge the skills gap in cloud computing. It prepares students for the digital future, empowers them with hands-on experience, and enhances their career prospects. By embracing AWS Academy, educational institutions can play a pivotal role in shaping a workforce that is not only competitive on a global scale but also capable of driving innovation in the digital landscape.
Muhammad Shahidul Islam
Sr. Instructor & AWS Academy Educator